Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Three Little Bluebirds


Today it began to seem as though Spring might come.  The cold spell broke, and the sky was that perfect blue and the sun felt warm.  As I was washing dishes I saw some flashes of white through the window and looked out to see a small flock of seagulls flying above the field across the street, heading southwest.  Where they might be going, I have no idea.  There was a time a few weeks ago when I thought I saw seagulls flying, but couldn't be sure - I suppose they must have been.  A mystery.

As we pulled in this afternoon, we startled a bird sitting on the driveway, who flew up and onto the roof of our shed: a bluebird!  And then another joined it, and another, all sitting in a nice little row.  We don't see many bluebirds in our yard - we've seen them across the street on our walks, but not so much here.  They stayed for quite a while, sunning themselves on the roof, perching on a fence post all fluffed up like little balls, flying up to a wire.  A robin joined in, and up in the trees I spotted a woodpecker (from what I could see, a red-bellied), and I think (or maybe it was just wishful thinking, as I've been hoping for one to visit our feeders), a nuthatch.  It made me feel a little lighter, seeing all these different birds fluttering and hopping and swooping here and there among the bare tangle of branches. 

My two feet are still here in Winter, but my toes are beginning to inch over the line.  Slowly, but surely.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Annie,
    Beautiful creatures - what a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were - they really lifted my spirit - all those birds, and the sun - small things but they make such a difference!

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    I've been poking around your blog recently, truly enjoying it. Thank you for all you write and share.
    Those bluebirds are precious...perhaps spring will be here soon, although it doesn't feel like it here today in Massachusetts where it's snowing.
    Have a good day,
    Chrisoula

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ~ I'm so glad you've been enjoying it! I'm glad to have you here :)

      Delete
  3. Love love love this! Especially the toes inching to spring. :) I too have been startled the last couple days hearing their birdsong, making me anxious for these mountains of snow to melt away...

    Hugs! Miss you!
    Claudine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudine - I've been thinking about you! I think this happens every year, that at some point, all of a sudden, there is a shift - not something you can put a finger to, but then Spring begins to seem possible again. We'll have to catch up, soon!

      Delete